It’s true that time really does fly. I can’t believe that today we are celebrating our firstborn’s 18th birthday. It truly does seem like yesterday we were bringing home that 9 lb. 12 oz bundle of cuteness. In honor of Joshua’s birthday, today I’m sharing 10 favorite things that have to do with Joshua.
1. His sense of humor. He’s so funny with his sly jokes. One time Jeremy commented that Joshua and I have a similar sense of humor to which Joshua replied, “No, we don’t.” I was shocked, because we actually do. Then, he added, “I’m funny.” Yep. There it is. That sense of humor!
2. When Joshua was about 7, we were living in Texas for a sabbatical time. Jeremy told Joshua he would pay him $3 to pick up all the sticks in the backyard. A couple of hours later we find Emma Grace picking up sticks and Joshua in his room. We asked Emma Grace what she was doing, and she happily replied that her brother was paying her $1 to pick up all the sticks. We didn’t know whether to be mad or to laugh in that moment!
3. His sensitivity to the feelings of others. It’s a beautiful thing.
4. His love for learning and reading. I’m always impressed by his thirst for knowledge.
5. When he was 3 or 4, we had a weekly evening gathering at our house. It always went way past Joshua’s bedtime, so we would put him to bed while everyone was still there. One night in particular he couldn’t stand being in bed while everyone was downstairs, so he got up and sat at the bottom of the stairs in a spot where it was hard to see him, but he could hear what was going on. Of course, we discovered he was there and took him back to bed. It happened again, so we told him to stay in bed or we would take his nightlight out of his room. We thought that would do the trick, so we were shocked when we discovered him at the bottom of the stairs again. We were even more shocked when he handed us the nightlight. Guess we chose the wrong punishment!
6. I love being able to have an intelligent conversation with him while learning interesting facts about just about anything. It always keeps the conversation interesting.
7. This video of his 12th birthday.
8. I love that he’s not afraid to say what he thinks or wants.
9. That smile of his. Melts this mama’s heart!
10. Most of all, I love Joshua for who he is, because who he is is pretty great!
Happy 18th birthday, Joshua! I love you with all my heart!